At Hale and Hines, we specialize in container trees selling wholesale to garden centers, rewholesalers, landscape companies, etc. Our first container tree production began in the spring of 2003. We now have 200 acres of container production, primarily large shade and flowering trees in 15, 30 and 45 gallon containers (from 5’ to 3” caliper). We produce a large range of shade trees and flowering trees, including 68 Maple varieties (including 36 Japanese maple varieties), 30 deciduous and evergreen Magnolias varieties, 16 Redbud varieties, 24 flowering Dogwood varieties, 15 Oak varieties, 13 Crape Mrytle varieties, and 13 Ginko varieties. We also have field production growing evergreens up to 20', shade trees up to 6" caliper, and flowering dogwoods and redbuds up to 4" caliper, among other varieties.
Hale & Hines Nursery, Inc. strives for excellence in the products that it sells and the relationships it enjoys with its customers. We have been in business since the spring of 1978. A family business founded by J.T. Hale and his son-in-law, Terry Hines. Mr. Hale sold his ownership in the nursery to Mr. Hines in 1998. Mr. Hines was voted by his peers as the 2007 Tennessee Wholesale Nurseryman of the Year. Mr. Hines has been and still is the President and General Manager of Hale & Hines with his sons James, John, and Peter in key management positions. All ownership remains within the Hines family. Our labor force consists of approximately 35-45 employees, the majority of who have been with the company on a long-term basis (10+/- years).
All land used for production was previously farm land. Our company is committed to the conservation and protection of our natural resources as evidenced by the following facts:
All field-grown products are packaged with biodegradable burlap and sisal twine.
- In all 15, 30, and 45 gallon pots we use a potting mix of approximately 22% -- A 100% recycled household waste product (www.bouldincorp.com), 72% pine bark (a by-product), and 6% slow-release fertilizer, micronutrient product, lime and sand.
- We use a custom-blend liquid-feed fertilizer before the slow release becomes active and later as a supplement.
- We regularly do pour throughs and as needed adjust the nutrients in the water used in the container production.
- We have a buy back policy on our handled containers from our wholesale customers. We reuse all plastic containers from our own production when possible.
- We have a plant pathologist, Dr. Mario Soza, on staff. His primary duties are monitoring and spotting disease and insect concerns, thus greatly reducing the amount of farm chemicals used to produce healthy plants.
- All 30 and 45 gallon pot in pot production have grass planted between the rows for erosion control and as roadways used in pulling orders.
- Terry Hines, President of Hale & Hines, is a stockholder and was a board member for 3 years of the aforementioned Bouldin Corp. and its subsidiary, WastAway Corp. (a recycler and manufacturer of recycling systems).
Member of Alliance for Community Trees